Reasons to Become a Matcha Convert.
Matcha is Very High in Antioxidants
Antioxidants are the amazing nutrients and enzymes that are essential for fighting life threatening diseases; the negative effects of UV radiation which in turn gives us younger-looking skin and all other age related decline. They are something that the health-conscious seek from foods such as raw fruits, green veggies, not forgetting dark chocolate. ORAC measures the potency of antioxidants found in food and beverages. Matcha offers a stunning high level of ORAC units: With 1573 units it surpasses all natural antioxidant rich food known so far.
Matcha is Packed with Catechin, EGCg
Not all antioxidants are the same and green tea contains a specific set of organic compounds known as catechins. These catechins are the most potent and beneficial of all the antioxidants and more specifically one called epigallocatechin gallate (EGCg) which happens to make up 60% of the catechins in Matcha Green Tea is recognised for its cancer fighting properties. Scientists have found that Japanese Matcha Green Tea contains over 100 times more EGCg than any other tea.Laboratory studies suggest that EGCG works at the cellular level to fight various cancers, including cancer of the breast (1,2) pancreas (3) mouth (4) colon (5) and prostate (6, 7)
Matcha Burns Calories
Matcha green tea has unique thermogenic properties that promotes increased fat oxidation according to a study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. The study reported that consuming matcha green tea increased thermogenesis, the rate at which our bodies burn calories, from 10% to 40% of daily energy use. Meaning drinking matcha has the potential to increase your body’s ability to burn fat and calories by 4!!! Another study found that drinking matcha before exercise increased the body’s fat burning potential by 25%. Matcha increases your metabolism enabling you to burn more calories without the negative side effects of lots of diet supplements currently on the market. Matcha causes no negative side-effects such as increased heart rate and high blood pressure.
Matcha Detoxifies the Body
Another great benefit of Matcha is that it helps to detoxify the body. This is due to its chlorophyll content. Chlorophyll helps plants turn sunlight into food but it also removes heavy elements and harmful chemicals from our bodies. Matcha is particularly rich with chlorophyll as it’s covered whilst it is growing which causes a tremendous increase in chlorophyll and amino acid production making it much more powerful than tea. It also fortifies the Immune System.
Matcha Calms the Mind
For over 800 years Japanese Matcha Green Tea has been used by Zen Buddhist monks to enhance their meditation enabling them to relax their minds but still remain energised. This is due to the amino acid L-Theanine contained in the Macha leaves. L-Theanine boosts alpha waves (the brain waves present in deep relaxation) and promotes alert relaxation. L-Theanine has had significant clinical results for not only naturally calming the brain but focusing it too.
Matcha Improves Concentration and Memory
L-Theanine increases the production of the two chemicals dopamine and serotonin which in turn serve to enhance mood, promote better concentration and improve memory.
Matcha Boosts Energy Levels and Extends Endurance
Matcha Green Tea contains 30mg – 40mg of caffeine which is much less than in a cup of coffee which will contain as much as 200mg, however, when you drink matcha you will experience a very clean boost of energy that can last 3-6 hours. This clean energy boost means no jitters, no anxiety and no crash. This is due to the minimal amount of caffeine mixed with incredibly potent antioxidants which will keep you calm, focussed, and energized for hours.
Matcha Improves Cholesterol
Studies have shown that people who drink Match Green Tea on a regular basis have lower levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol and higher levels of HDL (good) cholesterol. Also men who drink Matcha Green Tea are about 11% less likely to develop heart disease than those who don’t.
- Farabegoli F, Barbi C, Lambertini E, Piva R. (-)-Epigallocatechin-3-gallate downregulates estrogen receptor alpha function in MCF-7 breast carcinoma cells. Cancer Detect Prev. 2007 Nov 29.
- Thangapazham RL, Passi N, Maheshwari RK. Green tea polyphenol and epigallocatechin gallate induce apoptosis and Inhibit Invasion in human breast cancer cells. Cancer Biol Ther. 2007 Sep 1;6(12).
- Shankar S, Ganapathy S, Hingorani SR, Srivastava RK. EGCG inhibits growth, invasion, angiogenesis and metastasis of pancreatic cancer. Front Biosci. 2008;13:440-52.
- Ho YC, Yang SF, Peng CY, Chou MY, Chang YC. Epigallocatechin-3-gallate inhibits the invasion of human oral cancer cells and decreases the productions of matrix metalloproteinases and urokinase-plasminogen activator. J Oral Pathol Med. 2007 Nov;36(10):588-93.
- Kim M, Murakami A, Ohigashi H. Modifying effects of dietary factors on (-)-epigallocatechin-3-gallate-induced pro-matrix metalloproteinase-7 production in HT-29 human colorectal cancer cells. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2007 Oct;71(10):2442-50.
- Siddiqui IA, Malik A, Adhami VM, et al. Green tea polyphenol EGCG sensitizes human prostate carcinoma LNCaP cells to TRAIL-mediated apoptosis and synergistically inhibits biomarkers associated with angiogenesis and metastasis. Oncogene. 2007 Nov 12.
- Yu HN, Shen SR, Yin JJ. Effects of metal ions, catechins, and their interactions on prostate cancer. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2007;47(8):711-9.
OMGTEA is not only delicious to drink it is both energising and relaxing at the same time
OMGTEA is not only delicious to drink (see our OMGTEA recipe book) it’s both energising and relaxing at the same time and happens to be amazingly high in antioxidants.
Here’s just 3 of the many great reasons to switch to OMGTEA’s Matcha green tea for better health.
1. Amazing Antioxidant
Antioxidants protect your body from free radical damage which can lead to many serious diseases like cancer, dementia and heart disease. In addition to this they also have an important role to play in detoxifying your body helping to maintain your immune system and they also protect your eyes and skin from free radical ageing
(although the sun is critical to the production of vitamin D it is also a major source of free radicals) Green tea is already recognised as a great source of antioxidants but powdered Matcha green tea is much more powerful. In fact, Matcha has one of the highest antioxidant ORAC ratings of any food or drink ever measured.
A foods ORAC or Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity score measures its antioxidant concentration and ability to extinguish free radicals. OMGTEA’s Matcha has an average ORAC rating of 1573 TE/g which is even higher than the much hyped Gojoberries at 253 TE/g. The most important of the many antioxidants in Matcha is Epigallocatechin gallate, more commonly called EGCg and hight quality Matcha like OMGTEA has an incredible 137 times more EGCg than regular green tea. Scientific studies have shown EGCG protects against cancer and other are related diseases such as dementia and cardiovascular disease. Matcha has also been
demonstrated to both reduce the levels of unhealthy LDL cholesterol while simultaneously raising helpful HDL cholesterol whilst also regulating blood sugar levels. Matcha also contains many other important catechins and also flavonoids and all of these work in synergy within your body to help provide the many health benefits of
Matcha green tea.
2. Heavenly L-Theanine
All teas from the Camellia Sinensis plant, from which Matcha is cultivated, contain some caffeine. A half teaspoon serving has around 35 mg of caffeine, well under half the caffeine of an average cup of coffee which has between 80 – 120 mg. However, there are two main reasons why the caffeine in Matcha provides a much more balanced and relaxing energy than the rush of a cup of coffee often followed by the jitters.
1) The high levels of catechins (extremely healthy antioxidants) found in the
powdered leaves of the young green tea plant bind with the caffeine molecule in
Matcha to slow down its release into your bloodstream. This leads to a much gentler
and more sustained release of caffeine that is much less likely to raise cortisol levels
and lead to jitters or anxiety.
2) A unique amino acid called L-Theanine which is found primarily in the tea plant is
massively increased in Matcha versus regular tea due to the shading of the young
green tea leaves approximately 4 weeks before harvesting them. This also gives
Matcha its naturally sweet and almost creamy green tea flavour.
The health benefits of L-Theanine are so significant it has become a popular
supplement, but the best way by far to get L-Theanine into your diet is by drinking a
cup of natural Matcha green tea.
In scientific studies L-Theanine has been shown to stimulate alpha brain wave production. Maintaining alpha brain waves leads to a relaxed state of mental clarity and calm alertness which is often associated with meditation. It was the Zen Buddhist Monks who introduced Matcha into Japanese culture 800 years ago as it helped them meditate for longer. L-Theanine also directly counteracts any overstimulation of cortisol or adrenaline by caffeine. This in turn leads to a long lasting sustained energy and the ability to concentrate better and without the rush and crash of strong coffee or energy drinks. Additional research has found that L-Theanine can also help to lower high blood pressure, enhance memory and cognitive abilities and has a protective effect on the brain and can even help improve the quality of your sleep.
3. Cleansing Chlorophyll
The shading of the tea leaves for Matcha for several weeks before harvesting not only significantly increases L-Theanine levels but also chlorophyll concentration. Chlorophyll is an amazing nutrient with multiple health benefits. It is highly alkaline and known to help balance pH levels in your blood. It is a powerful detoxifier with anti-bacterial and antioxidant properties. The chlorophyll in wheatgrass is the main reason why it is considered so healthy. Matcha is much nicer to drink though and also a good source of blood cleansing chlorophyll. Recent studies have indicated it is much more easily absorbed by the body than wheatgrass particularly when taken with a little lemon or lime juice.
OMGTEA Benefits in Summary
• With its calming L-Theanine and caffeine regulating catechins OMGTEA provides a much more balanced and stable energy than coffee, energy drinks or even regular black tea. OMGTEA drinkers regularly report an increase in mental alertness with the ability to concentrate harder and for longer and a greater sense of well-being. This is due to the high levels L-Theanine.
• OMGTEA has an exceptional level of antioxidants such as EGCg and other catechins and flavonoids. With an ORAC rating of 1573 Matcha ranks considerably higher than even Gojiberries.
• The high concentration of chlorophyll found in good quality Matcha work to alkalise and detoxify the blood. Research shows that acidic blood which is overloaded with toxins puts the body at risk of disease. By cleansing the blood and increasing its pH level the body has a better chance to get more oxygen and nutrients to cells to help with healing.
Choosing a Good Matcha Green Tea
Here’s a few important things to look for.
1) Always buy a certified organic product. – if you’re buying a product for its health benefits which it seems counterproductive to be ingesting herbicides, pesticides or other potentially damaging chemicals used in the production of non-organic products. A good Matcha green tea should be certified organic and come from Japan where the organic certification is of a stricter standard than in the USA or China. Japanese Matcha is considered the best anyway and not just for its superior taste, its also due to the traditional methods used in Japanese Matcha production
2) The better the Matcha quality the finer and greener the powder will be. High quality powder will give you a creamy taste and will smoother than the low quality versions. Lower grade Matcha will be more coarse, bitter and possibly gritty whilst drinking – trust us this is not a great experience. This lower quality interest and look means the nutritional value is much diminished too. After a lot of research OMGTEA found an amazing source of Matcha from tea farmers in Nishio. We chose this Japanese grown and produced organic Matcha green tea because it tastes much richer and almost creamy compared to regular green tea. OMGTEA is guaranteed to be completely pure and additive free and contain no detectable levels of pesticides, fungicides or herbicides. Good quality Matcha comes in various levels of quality which is why we offer 3 different grades, if you’d like to try the highest quality OMGTEA Matcha green tea then try our Super Premium grade.
Making Your OMGTEA
To make a traditional OMGTEA Matcha tea have a look at our video.
Matcha is so versatile and to prove it we have written an OMGTEA e-book of 18 Matcha drink recipes you can download here (insert link), from Matcha mules to Matcha mojitos, to Matcha lattes. So sip up and enjoy the many health benefits of Matcha, particularly OMGTEA’s!!!